Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Looking Back on the Michigan Morel Season

It's that time of year again. The morel mushroom season is coming to a close. Now is the time that we can look back on our season and analyze our success and compare it to years past.  Overall, I would say that 2012 was a mediocre year for morels, at least in my area. I didn't find anywhere close to as many mushrooms as I did last year, but I still found a few. I think the main problem this year was that we didn't get much rain in April while the mushrooms were growing. Every grey morel that I found seemed to be small and a bit dry and crumbly. I came across only one decent patch of yellows and it yielded only about a dozen large morels (as shown in the picture below).
5 inch tall yellow morel

I have heard similar findings from morel hunters in other states. The guys down in Kentucky said it was too dry down there as well. On a turkey hunting trip to Kentucky this year, I only found 3 yellow morels, and they were so dried up that they were inedible.  

In the meantime, all we can do is hope for a better season for the mushrooms next year. Let me know how your season went. I am curious to see if anyone had a better than average year for morels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment